Glyn Hughes (b. 1931 in north Wales, UK). He lives and works in Nicosia Cyprus. He educated at Holywell Grammar School. He studied art at Bretton Hall in Yorkshire then taught art and drama in London for three years before coming to Cyprus in 1956. Since that time he has been painting continually. He taught art at the English school, Nicosia where he also used to ran the pre-university youth club.
In 1960 when Cyprus became independent he started APOPHASIS with the outstanding Cypriot artist of his generation, Christoforos Savva. This was a pioneering venture and became the centre of Cypriot contemporary art. Christoforos Savva died in 1967. Later Hughes was to start SYNERGY an annual group exhibition/installationary activity. This was cut down by the Coup and Turkish Invasion but the artist continued to paint. He has had one person exhibitions in Cyprus and the U.K., and represented Cyprus at the Cairo Triennale. He participated in group exhibitions in Athens, London, Beirut, German, Switzerland, Cyprus, China, and Australia.
In theatre design he has worked in Cyprus, U.K., Greece, Germany, and the USA. He was Arts Editor for The Cyprus Weekly from the 1980’s until 2011 and in the past he had conducted SYMPOSIART a series of lectures on British Art for The British Council and the Nicosia Municipal Centre.
In 2007 a retrospective exhibition tour covering the last fifty years of Glyn Hughes, it was organized jointly by the Cypriot Government and Wrexham Arts Centre, Wales, UK.